Thursday, September 7, 2017

Exit Slip - Sept 7

The statements regarding mathematics education struck me as I had personally encountered them many times not only in my academic past, but also in my professional, technical roles. All 6 statements are seemingly easily argued by those who do not exist in a realm where math is readily used or apparent in their passions everyday life. Even those who apply mathematics everyday, such as my technical colleagues, were often not aware of these fallacies based on their assumptions. These fallacies seem to stem from an education system based heavily on exams and testing as an educational ends. The frequency that these common statements occur demonstrates to me a general lack of engagement in the subject of mathematics. This lack inspires a somewhat non-intuitive wave of creativity to relate math, generally perceived as a strict and non-creative area, to all people and their individual, familiar perspectives. The integration of mathematics into other subjects and vice versa seems an effective way of turning the abstract tool of mathematics into tangibly useful and relatable tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment